Rename database name on tree of chm?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aoflaherty
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  10:36:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to rename the database that appears on the left hand navigation tree of the chm? I am displaying three databases in one chm using SQL Server, but I want to change the name that appears for each database because its database name isn't meaningful enough in this situation. Is it possible other than creating your own config file?

If I have to create my own config file, what is the minimum I can put in it since I like the way everything else is created as SQl Spec defaults?
Thanks
Anne

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  1:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
currently this is not supported. I'll post back here if I add this feature.
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  8:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this feature is in the current beta. To try it, use a config file like this:

<SqlSpec>
  <contentRoots>
    <contentRoot name="a custom name for pubs" serverType="SqlServer" server="SUMMER" database="pubs" />
    <contentRoot name="a custom name for Northwind" serverType="SqlServer" server="SUMMER" database="Northwind" />
    <contentRoot name="a custom name for AdventureWorks" serverType="SqlServer" server="SUMMER" database="AdventureWorks" />
  </contentRoots>
</SqlSpec>

You can pick up the beta here: http://www.elsasoft.org/download.htm
Go to Top of Page

bdraper
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2008 :  12:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How would you change the title Database Documentation to something else? I would also like to change the highlight of the selection bar from gray to some other color...

quote:
Originally posted by Jesse

this feature is in the current beta. To try it, use a config file like this:

<SqlSpec>
  <contentRoots>
    <contentRoot name="a custom name for pubs" serverType="SqlServer" server="SUMMER" database="pubs" />
    <contentRoot name="a custom name for Northwind" serverType="SqlServer" server="SUMMER" database="Northwind" />
    <contentRoot name="a custom name for AdventureWorks" serverType="SqlServer" server="SUMMER" database="AdventureWorks" />
  </contentRoots>
</SqlSpec>

You can pick up the beta here: http://www.elsasoft.org/download.htm

Edited by - bdraper on Dec 30 2008 12:49:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  09:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't do that currently, but I can add that to the next beta.
Go to Top of Page

bdraper
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  09:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be great, thanks...

We are currently evaluating the software and your responsiveness to our questions is very impressive.

Thanks Jesse and Happy New Year
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  3:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, and happy new year to you also!

I might also add that forum and email support is free with a license purchase.
Go to Top of Page

aoflaherty
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  11:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jesse,
I am using the new feature and loving it. I have an additional request. When I use the Search feature in the chm output, the Location displays the chm name and not each database name.

For example, if I type in "address", the search works, but Location doesn't help me figure out which database it is in.
Thanks
Anne
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  4:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the values in that "location" column in the search tab does not seem to be something that one can set.

I have searched the HTML Help Workshop documentation and can't find anything on it, sorry!
Go to Top of Page

aoflaherty
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  5:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK thanks for looking
Go to Top of Page

janvolck
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  02:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

The company I'm working for bought your product a couple of months ago and now I building a configuration file for our databases.

I downloaded the version 4.1 and 5 beta and tried to used the feature mentioned in this topic but nothing happens the Database name is not overruled with the name I provided.
Is this feature still available ?

Regards,

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  07:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have a look and see. In the meantime can you send me your config file? send it here: sqlspec at elsasoft dot org. thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  7:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, I reproduced the bug in the beta - it only occurs in the HTML version of the docs though, not in the CHM version.

I fixed the bug in the current beta, now it works correctly for HTML also. pick it up here: http://www.elsasoft.org/download.htm

let me know if you have trouble getting it to work. Note that the values in the various attributes are case-sensitive.
Go to Top of Page

kevinb
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  10:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jesse,
I downloaded the lates v6 beta today to take a look. Very nice program! I too am trying to create a more meaningful DB name in the left hand menu structure than the default <computer name+somenumbers+dbname> that it defaults to creating. I followed the instructions in this thread and created the config file, but when I run it it seems to be ignoring the directives in the xml file. I think this is likely due to the fact that I am trying to do this with ms access databases and not SQL server. I tried changing a few params like the server type to Access instead of sqlserver, but still no go. Am I just doing something wrong or is this only supported on sql server? Thnaks for any light you can shed!

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  7:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kevin,

I was not able to repro your issue. Here's the config file I tried:

<SqlSpec>
  <Access>
    <ConnectionString>Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\SomeAccessDatabase.mdb;</ConnectionString>
  </Access>
  <contentRoots>
    <contentRoot name="a custom name" serverType="Access" server="MACHINENAME" database="SomeAccessDatabase" />
  </contentRoots>
</SqlSpec>

can you try this? you'll have to change the bold bits above to the path to your mdb, etc as appropriate. also note that the attribute values are all case-sensitive. so SomeAccessDatabase is not the same as somEaccesSdatabasE

If you can't get it to work, can you send me the config file you are using? send to sqlspec at elsasoft dot org. thanks!
Go to Top of Page

kevinb
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  09:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jess, I'll give it a spin and let you know how I make out. It looks different than the way I had min config file setup so more than likely that was the issue.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elsasoft Forums © Elsasoft LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000