Controling Diagrams
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JonathanF
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  07:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually prefer the old-style diagrams that simply had the boxes. Is there a way to get those diagrams instead?

If not, can I control the diagrams that are generated? I see two diagrams for each set I have defined, one with the complete column list and one with only the keys listed. Can I get only the keys version on the page?

Jonathan

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  08:15:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the old style diagrams performed terribly, using a simulated annealing algorithm. I have abandoned that code. I could look at having graphviz make something similar though, that's not so "traditional ERD" looking, with just icons.

The new ones are more like traditional ERD, where you can see column names and the pk/fk links hook up to the right columns.

I'll look at adding a switch so you see the "keys only" diagram only. So many switches in sqlspec! :)
Go to Top of Page

JonathanF
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  2:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the nice features of the old diagrams was that they were linked to the individual documentation pages. We could click through from the diagrams to the rest of the documentation. With the new diagrams, we have to go back to the index or search page to find the objects referenced in the diagram.

I am used to ERDs that look like what ERwin produces. See http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/ballet_companies/index.htm for a sample. With this kind of diagram, the foreign key relationships do not hook up to specific columns, they just show the relationship between the tables. In the new diagrams, FK lines must link to the side of a table so that the linking field links can be shown. In (what I consider to be) traditional ERDs, the lines can be connected to the top or bottom of a table, producing a more compact diagram.

Another interesting difference is that I am used to a single line describing a relationship. In the new diagrams, a multi-column FK has multiple lines that connect the two tables. To me, that looks like multiple relationships rather than multiple keys in a single relationship.

All that said, the new diagrams are better than no diagrams. They certainly are colorful and informative, and I'm glad we have the option of creating specific diagrams for specific areas of the system.

Jonathan
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  8:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for feedback. it's a bug if you can't click on a table in the ERD and go to the page for that table/view/proc, i'll have a look.

Go to Top of Page

JonathanF
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  2:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I regenerated the documentation, and the diagrams now link to the individual pages for the objects. Perhaps I was doing something wrong before. They look great now!

Now for the hard part: creating more diagrams. :)

Jonathan
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  7:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jonathan,

I added a simpler diagram to the 2 styles already existing that show the columns on the tables.

Below is an example of the simpler diagram that just shows the name of each object, with a different color and shape for each object type.

tables are the blue-green rectangles for example, stored procs are the green ovals, etc.

solid lines show how tables are linked together with FKs, dashed lines are dependencies (like procs that select from a table)

You can find this in the latest beta here: http://elsasoft.org/download.htm

Go to Top of Page

JonathanF
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  3:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those look great!

Does a license for an existing version cover a beta, or would I need to get a new license if I download the beta?

Jonathan
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  6:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you get free upgrades for 1 yr after buying a license. when did you buy your license?
Go to Top of Page

JonathanF
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  05:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We purchased the license sometime after Fab of this year, so it should be safe to proceed. Thanks again.

Jonathan
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  08:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool, let me know how you like these new diagrams.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elsasoft Forums © Elsasoft LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000