Exclude dialog doesn't use server name
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ihayes
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  01:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that when opening the 'Exclude' objects dialog that the entries listed in the left hand side use a logical server name presumably extracted from SQL-Server rather than the server name defined in the SSPROJ file.

Hence, in one situation I have defined server name as an IP address (e.g. 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx') and in the data items in the left side show a different logical server name.

This makes it very difficult for me to reuse SSPROJ definitions across different databases.

Ideally,I'd like to see an option that excludes server name from the key that decides whether an item is included or excluded.

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  08:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but server name needs to be part of the key because the possibility exists for documenting two databases named the same, with the same objects, but on different servers. I have customers that do this.

Go to Top of Page

ihayes
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  08:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add a configuration option to make the server name optional?
Go to Top of Page

Jesse
Forum Admin

732 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  09:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean? do you mean you'd want to say that object database.schema.objectname should be excluded no matter what server it resides on?
Go to Top of Page

ihayes
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  09:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Provide a 'Include server in exclusion identifier' configuration option which is set to TRUE by default, but if set to FALSE would not be used to uniquely identify items to exclude. Hence, if a SSPROJ only included one server/database then it would make sense to have this set to FALSE, but if it covered multiple databases then it should be set to TRUE.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elsasoft Forums © Elsasoft LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000